Around 1250 is already a parish with a church.
During the Middle Ages an impressing castle, inhabited by the Heren van Pietersheim and afterwards by the Graven Van den Bergh. The castle has had a private chapel. In 1702 the fortified castle, constructed by the Spanish in 1633, was nationalised.
Nowadays the church is in use for worship, funeral or marriage services, Holy Masses, concerts and expositions. Aldo there are VVV guided tours at request.